Intentional living is living with an aim or purpose according to one's values and beliefs. Intentional living is a choice to do something in a certain way. To be intentional you must be fully aware of your thoughts and presence.
How do you want to feel today? What will make you more productive? Is your body telling you it needs to rejuvenate and rest? What is your relationship with your loved ones? What energy are you putting out into the world?
With an intentional lifestyle, you are living a more purposeful life. You are being present and aware. As we learn to become more intentional, we are learning to pay attention and focus on what is going around us.
Intentional living also includes being mindful that you do not just drift through life but to live with a purpose. And to live responsibly as “the good citizen” certainly requires intentionality
The present culture of the world is busy, hectic and fast. The thought that gets channeled to our mind is we need an excess of everything to become more efficient. It is a society that is always rushing to gain more. So, to live a more intentional lifestyle it is almost counter-instinctive.
Living an intentional lifestyle is knowing to choose between healthy and unhealthy food.
It is a set of choices that you make which inspires you and others. Intentional living creates the clarity that you desire.
Why Begin With Intentional Living?
For instance, you can spend the whole Sunday morning cleaning things in your storage room (things you do not need and probably have stored away) instead of spending quality time with your family.
We have to be aware that the collection of your belonging has become so unintentional that we are getting consumed away with consumerism.
We buy all these things that we do not need to have.
You may ask yourself why to do you have the things in your room? Are those things enriching your life? Are you living intentionally with what you have?
Keep only the things that you need and give away the rest that you do not.
How to Get Started With Intentional Living?
Below are some steps to start intentional living.
- Be responsible - accepting and being responsible is a step to intentional living. It can be as simple as reaching on time. If you are intentional about reaching on time, you will make sure that you do.
- Respect your decision - respecting the decisions that you make can help maintain intentional living. It requires a conscious effort to make these choices.
- Be mindful - being mindful or aware can be as simple as how you are treating your body. Are you eating right or have enough sleep? If both the answers are a resounding no, then you should start by asking why? Why are you making choices that are stressful for your body? If you are intentional about keeping your body healthy, you will make the choice to attain it. Yes, you can choose to take a walk instead of hopping into a vehicle to reach an appointment.
- Be grateful - we are all guilty of concentrating on the negative aspect of others. We nit-pick, we complain or we are just never quite pleased. Seeing things from a wider perspective can help you be more grateful. Being happy for a friend’s success even when you had a bad day can impact his/her life.
- Be purposeful - we may think it is hard to be purposeful with such busy schedules of going to work, school or just getting frozen with your daily whirlwind. But being purposeful can be as simple as maintaining a good friendship. Wherever your friend maybe, mailing them a birthday card, as cliché, as it sounds, can increase the quality of your friendship.
- Meditate - spending quiet time by yourself can help keep the mind at ease. Everyone’s idea of meditating is different. You might be someone who loves walking in the forest, or reading a book or sitting on a yoga mat by the lake. The essence is to do things that make you happy, get you relaxed and recharged. It takes being intentional to recognize things that are good for you.
Now all you have to do is embrace the journey of living an intentional lifestyle. You may not be able to do it in a day but you can start to become an intentional lifestyle practitioner.
“When we amplify the best within us, we can achieve something miraculous” – Brendon Burchard