Baby Sling - How to Wrap a Baby Sling Safely?
A baby sling is a cloth that supports a baby or a small child from the carrier's body. Baby slings are of different types, they include ring sling, wrap sling, baby backpack sling, etc.
Some styles to wear a sling are vertical, front carry, back carry, hip carry, kangaroo carry, and cradle hold.
An infant baby carried in a Mugha & Eri sling
Babywearing Using a Baby Sling
Babywearing is the practice of carrying a baby using a sling or a piece of cloth tied or knotted across the torso either on the back or on the front of the body.
After a baby is born into this world, a mother or a babysitter needs to attend and care for the baby. By using a baby sling, the mother or babysitter can keep the baby right by their side at all times. Babywearing is not something unheard of, and people have been practicing it for centuries.
Are Baby Slings Safe?
Wearing a baby sling incorrectly can suffocate the infant's airflow. Wearing a sling loosely could make the baby fall from several feet which is fatal. You need to make sure the sling is not too tight and not too loose.
"But baby sling carriers, when used incorrectly, can lead to serious injury or even death for the baby involved. (More on correct use later.) Between January 2003 and September 2016, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) received 159 reports of safety incidents involving sling carriers. These reports included 67 injuries and 17 deaths. In most cases of serious injury or death, the infant in the carrier somehow became unable to breath." (Source)
When worn correctly, baby slings can be useful and beneficial.
How to Wrap a Baby Sling Ring Safely? Step by Step Guide
3 Cautions You Must Take When Wearing a Baby Sling
- Always check the baby's breathing - the baby's face must be visible to you at all times. You need to make sure the baby's nose and mouth are not obstructed by the sling.
- Be alert for wear and tear - check the sling's wear and firmness. Make sure it's not too tight nor too loose.
- Bend using your knees and not your waist - always bend with your knees. Bending with your waist can constrict the baby's body and airflow.
Why Use Baby Sling?
The best way to care for a baby is when the mother or the babysitter is right by the child at all times.
By using a sling, the baby can feel the warmth of the carrier's body which makes the baby less prone to falling sick.
3 Benefits of Using a Baby Sling
- Easier parenting - having a baby in a sling frees your hands so you can work and do other things at the same time.
- Provides comfort for the baby - an infant needs the presence of an adult when they are awake. Carrying a baby in a sling can help reduce the baby's crying.
- Promotes attachment and bonding - using a baby sling creates a strong bond between the carrier and the baby.
Muezart's Baby Slings
Our weavers have designed two baby sling products. They take the traditional knowledge and combine it with the style of modern design to fit the needs of mothers and babysitters.
Leave a comment